Re: [Gimp-user] Help! - snow animation

2011/11/27 Jude <forums gimpusers com>
Can anyone please point me to a step-by-step tutorial to create falling snow?(animation).I'm a complete novice, but can create basic animations and use layers to some degree. I'm using GIMP 2.6. I want to create falling snow on a small picture I've already created. I've spent hours scouring the net today, checking Youtube, but I can't find a clear and concise tutorial. Many thanks for any help.

Basically it's very simple. Add a new transparent layer to your image. Fill it with RGB Noise. Invert this layer, otherwise the snow is black.

Then, several times, duplicate this layer and offset it down by a few pixels. For a smooth animation, have 30 layers, and change a little the amount of offset down, adding even a small horizontal offset.

Finally, duplicate the background layer as many times as you have snow layers, and merge the duplicate backgrounds each with a snow layer.

Your animation is finished!

Olivier Lecarme