Re: [Gimp-user] clicking rulers loses freehand selection

rich <forums gimpusers com> writes:

Hi,

I just noticed a serious UI issue. Say I'm zoomed in and am creating a
complex freehand selection. I'm now selecting stuff at the very top of
the canvas, and I happen to miss a bit and touch the 'ruler'. Suddenly,
GIMP switches to the move tool and I've lost the whole selection! Does
anyone know if this behaviour can be turned off?

(I know I can turn off the rulers, but it's annoying having to turn them
off and on all the time since they are sometimes useful.)

Using Gimp 2.6.11 and PCLOS

What happens here.

This only happens if the image completely fills the window and with the scissors or paths tools, the free
select is not affected. A solution might be to increase the size of the window so that there is a border.
This does mean that high zoom levels are not available.

I know, not really a solution when selecting hair at the top of a
~7000x5000px image …

Next strange effect. The path tool is ok, go into the border and the generated selection follows the edge
of the image. The scissors tool, going completely into the border and the selection snaps to 9 pix into the
image. Keeping the tool exactly on the border even at high zoom does work.

That really does sound like a bug, does it happen in 2.7.3?

I would say, maybe, if you are using high zoom so no border available + shaky hand, then steer clear of the
ruler and finish off with quick mask.

For now, turning off and on the ruler is my "solution", but it seems
like something close to a UI bug.

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer