Re: [Gimp-user] Light Field Camera

On 11/13/2011 02:42 AM, Mikael Ståldal wrote:
On 2011-10-29 17:01, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Any ideas how this will impact foto-editing?

From GIMP's perspective, I think this can be seen as a new, more advanced, form av RAW images.

Current RAW images allows you to adjust certain aspectes after the exposure, such as white balance. This Light Field Camera adds another aspect to the list of adjustable aspectes: focus.

Currently GIMP has no direct support for any RAW images, you have to pre-process them with a plugin which generates a regular bitmap which is then fed into GIMP. Images from a Ligth Field Camera could be handled in the same way.
Yes, but the plug-in would have to discern and extract the bitmap from the proprietary stored format in a manner similar to what the software that presents the refocused image to the viewing screen does - as noted in earlier posts (or so it seems to me).

One possible advanced plugin feature might be to refocus in successively finer checkerboards, each checkerboard choosing as its "focus locus" the quadrant containing the crispest edges. Kind of a 3-D Warnock's algorithm.

Seems it could result in a "focused everywhere" image, if the imaged object is smooth enough.

 -- Burnie