Re: [Gimp-user] Vignetting correction

On 12/24/2011 11:29 AM, phanisvara das wrote:

thanks, that's useful. i've never thought much about this
vignetting stuff. just was something we did routinely with larger
prints, because the lenses tended to loose light toward the edges.

the way you describe it, it can be used as a creative tool, not
just subtle final polishing.

Yup, in some photos where the composition is weak and the eye is not
naturally drawn to the subject, vignetting can save the image.
Other times, a photo that naturally looks like it has already had
the effect applied, can be made to "pop out and say WOW" by pushing
that effect a tiny bit further.

Other times you have to break out the clone and smudge tools and
start removing distracting objects... a last resort in most cases.
Rarely as I use it, thank God and the developers for the perspective
clone tool.  And thank Robert A. Heinlein for teaching me that the
objective is not a "perfectly accurate" image, but rather, to "fool
the eye."

:o)