[Gimp-user] Unable to flatten and/or deselect image?

As a complete GIMP noob, I've run into a simple problem. I opened a jpg that need more width of any color on each side. Set background to black and changed canvas to new width. However the original center image remains selected and Select>None is grayed out, so I can't flatten and save as new jpg. Merge Down command also grayed out. Looked through online docs but didn't find what step I'm missing?

--

Keith