[Gimp-user] Online documentation.

Using 2.6.11 on a Slackware 13.37 system. I have documentation
located in /usr/doc/gimp-2.6.11. but when I attempt to access the
Gimp manual I get this message:
Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' for reading: Operation not supported

Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS?

ON further investigation these seem to be Gnome packages. Not
everyone uses Gnome. So this seems to be an unnecessary
dependency. I run KDE and XFCE, not Gnome. And my experience is
that if I download one package it will require something else
etc.

The ftp versions seem to be related to 2.6.0, not 2.6.11

Is there a way to install or access current documentation without
getting involved with loading a bunch of Gnome packages?

Nothing to do with Gnome, Gimp help is all html, so the linux files are the same as the windows files are the
same as (KDE, E17, ... Gnome)

For on-line help use http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/ in your web browser to see if you can connect.

For a locally installed help, check Gimp -> preferences -> help system and see if local files are enabled and
the correct browser is set.

AFAIK the location of the start up file for a local Gimp help should be (depending on language)
/usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/index.html

As for being up to date, everything to do with how the slackware repo is maintained. The Gimp 2.6 manual is
work in progress so use the online version if you need the latest. I think this is ver.2.6.1 and does not
follow the Gimp version number.

I don't bother these days with installing help but in the past when my installed version was lagging behind,
dumped the web site to a local drive with
wget -r -p -np http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/
then grafted the files into the Gimp help directory.

--
rich (via gimpusers.com)