[Gimp-user] Gimp 2.6 freezes on querying shift.exe - Win 7

I've been using Gimp for a while on my Windows XP machines, but recently I got two new PCs, both running
Windows 7 64 bit.

Gimp appears to install fine, but when I run it, it hangs on "querying plugins: shift.exe". And when I say
hang, it's a serious hang - I can't open any other programs (eg the Chrome browser), and the only solution is
to shut down the PC.

Both the laptop and my desktop PC are pretty new - they don't have much stuff on them yet - and they both
hang at this point, so I haven't been able to run Gimp at all.

Anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions very welcome - thanks in advance!

Chris.

--
Fluffmeister (via gimpusers.com)