Re: [Gimp-user] enhancing letters in GIMP

On 12 December 2011 09:53, Xiella Harksell <xiesse gmail com> wrote:
On 12 December 2011 09:53, Xiella Harksell <xiesse gmail com> wrote:
On 12 December 2011 09:07, Arbol One <arbolone gmail com> wrote:

I have a png file that has some letters, the letters are blurry after the scanning and I would like to enhance the tone of the letters, the letters are black and the document is in many colours but black. How can I isolate the black, thus the letters, from all the other colours and then enhance the colour black so that the letters are thick and solid.

Thanks in advance.

If you scanned a black and white document in colour and don't mind losing all the colour, a quick fix is turning the png to Grayscale and then increasing Brightness/Contrast to your liking.

If you have colours other than black that you'd rather not grayscale:
- use the rectangle tool to select the text,
- reduce Saturation (several tools in the Colour menu do this) until it's all some shade of grey rather than colour,
- then fiddle with Brightness/Contrast until the black is an acceptable black and the white is the appropriate white to match the rest of the document.

not sure if that

was what you were looking for.
(sorry accidentally sent.)

Xiella

Or you might also be looking for the Posterise tool?  Again not sure if that was what you were looking for sorry.

Xiella