Re: [Gimp-gui] truly astonished by gimp

On 2/19/19 6:25 PM, martin_amor uk2 net wrote:
people, i really want to be polite but....

maybe this is an age thing - i am quite old!! - but....

does nobody out there realise how unbelievably unfriendly this program
(GIMP) is??

the basic screen is as cluttered as the great Pacific garbage patch.

Messages pop up all the time; none of them is in anything close to
English.

Please don't tell me to read faqs help files, whatever. It's too
COMPLICATED.

Is there such a thing as an idiot's guide to using this nightmare
program. It is recommended by lots of people! Maybe it is really great,
but do you have be a total utter code-chomping geek to even start to use
this?

Really sorry, don't want to offend anybody, just utterly bewildered and
disappointed.

I used to use Corel PhotoPaint, then PhotoShop, and thought both of them were very intuitive. Then I switched to GIMP and thought GIMP was very similar.

But even after several years of using GIMP, there was a lot of stuff that I didn't even know existed, much less knew how to find and use.

Reading the first chapter of "The Book of GIMP" - and trying each and every item mentioned in the book (simply reading isn't enough to actually learn) helped a lot. I wrote a review here: https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/book-of-gimp.html

Unfortunately The Book of GIMP was written for GIMP 2.8, my little review is based on GIMP 2.9, and here we are now on GIMP 2.10. But a lot of stuff is still the same. So I'd really recommend finding The Book of GIMP or similar manual to read at least the introductory chapters.

I'm sure other people on this list have other good introductory material on GIMP that they are familiar with and can recommend.

Best,
Elle Stone
--
https://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography