[Gimp-gui] Opacity setting for blending

My point and shoot camera can't do long exposures (at least not during daylight, there is a fireworks setting for nighttime). I wanted to try to create smooth flowing water using a technique I had read about where many single photos were blended. I realize it won't be as good as a long exposure but it'll do for now.

However, I'm unclear on the blending settings of multiple layers. I seem to recall having read that the settings are based on #layers/100% so, for a simple example, if there are 3 layers, then 3/100% = 33% so the top layer is 33%, the second layer is 66% and the bottom layer is 100%.

Is this correct or reasonable? Is there another method to consider?