I had selected the colour for FG with the colour picker tool (which picks from screen) from the padding outside the canvas and applied it to the layer.
You can see how they are different. So it would be slightly different to the colour that people actually wanted to pick and apply.

Thank you.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Jehan <jehan girinstud io> wrote:
On 2018-02-27 15:42, Elle Stone wrote:
On 02/27/2018 09:21 AM, Jehan wrote:

While I understand what you are asking for, I'm wondering why it is really necessary. The 2 options already exist: picking using the color picker tool or using the color dock.

I also understand that you may not want to care about the difference.  From a simple point of view, they both pick colors, what is the difference? Who even cares about this difference? I get this.
Yet the difference exists, we didn't invent it and I'm not sure if trying to blur this difference is not an actual disservice to people.

Hi,

Hmm, I didn't interpret the request as "why care about the difference"
(the difference is very real and very important). I interpreted the
request as "Put access to the color picker inside the "Choose
Foreground/Background" dialog, along with keeping the "pick screen
color" eye-dropper".

Having the color picker tool inside the "Choose FG/BG" dialog seems
like it might be pretty handy, though given that the color picker is
readily available in the toolbox, it's not a big deal.

Having the color picker tool also be in the "Choose FG/BG" dialog,
along with the screen color picker, might make it more obvious that
the two tools indeed have different purposes and do in fact pick
different colors.

On the other hand, the "Choose FG/BG" dialog would be more
complicated. And users might forget which color picking tool they just
used, or accidentally use the screen color picker when really they
wanted the "pick color from GIMP image" color picker or vice versa.

Yes I interpreted the request the same as you, and this last sentence is what I meant by "blurring" the difference. Basically allowing the 2 features from the same place may make it confusing to most people.

Right now, it is simple: you either use the tool and you get canvas colors; or you get the more generic color picker from the dock and you can pick color from anywhere on screen. Well most people won't know the difference, but the people who do (graphics professional or amateur who go further in digital graphics subtleties) will directly get the difference between these 2 different features.
Trying to get them all at the same place, with slightly different icons or text titles or whatever, or even just a single icon but a checkbox to switch between the 2 features (or whatever else GUI option one might think of) feel to me to me like it makes the separation less clear.
Which is also what you are saying in your last sentence.

As you say, both features are reachable quite easily already. I don't see a huge gain in trying to have them all at the same place.

Jehan

Best,
Elle

ZeMarmot open animation film