Re: [Gimp-gui] Default export format usability

Hi,

On 2017-02-18 18:39, Marty wrote:
Hello,
This is feedback on the default export format always being PNG with a
requirement to always change it when exporting an image for the first
time.  PNGs are huge and do have their place but in the work I do I
nearly always export the final result to jpg for web use. PNG is a very
bandwidth-unfriendly format for one-off stuff of modest importance.
IIRC, PNG is non-lossy; non-lossy is great unless it isn't a factor for
a particular workflow.

In the hope that devs are here I'd like to suggest either making the

We are here and listening. :-)

default export format a setting in preferences or at minimum make the
most recent format selection in the current dialog sticky within a session.

The format selection is actually already "sticky" within a single session. If you don't have this behavior, I believe there is a problem. This being said, I think it should also stick accross sessions (i.e. after a restart of GIMP). This is some of the many usability issues that we have IMO.

This could also become a defaults settings. After all, we now have a "Image Import & Export" section and such a settings (preferred image format) could definitely be there. I'll have a look, I think.

Keeping the original default as PNG though definitely makes sense. You obviously don't care about PNG but I can tell you a lot of people care more about PNG than JPG. ;-) It is indeed lossless but quite good at it and not too big (we are not speaking BMP). I am one of these people and most of my exports are definitely PNG (jpeg are quite occasional). Though of course you are right that there are also a lot of people are on the JPEG side too. So I say that both formats make sense as a default, so I'd say we should stick to PNG. :P But if we had a settings for anyone to use one's preferred format, this would not be a problem anymore.

Jehan

I imagine others might be interested in this also.

TIA,
Marty G