[Gimp-gui] 2.9 / 2.10 icon themes

I am working on updating my theme to work with 2.9 and 2.10 and I had a few questions.  I could not find what many themes call the imagerc file in the icon themes.  This file is what tells gimp where each icon is in your theme.  It looks as though GIMP 2.9 has this file built in, that as long as you have your icons named the what gimp expects them to be named and where gimp expects them to be then when you switch icon themes every thing works.

This sound great except that it causes two problems when it comes to my theme.  The first problem is that my theme uses different icons depending on their state, if the icon is active or selected they are orange.  the second is that my theme changes most all icons including the ones that are shared between gnome applications on linux example the undo and redo icons in the history dialog or the up and down arrows in the layers dialog.

Does anyone know if this is the way it is going to be? Or do I have to change these icons a different way now?

--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.