Re: [Gimp-gui] Blend tool icons & Color eraser icon

Am 15.02.2016 um 21:14 schrieb Jehan:
Hi all,

On 2016-02-15 20:44, Aurore D. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to suggest the change of the blend tool icon, back to the
"original" icon: a simple square with a gradient in it.
The kitchen blender is not a very good visual metaphor (to quote Akk
on irc "That's not what the tool does, anyway -- it doesn't blend all
the colors in the image into a single uniform color like a blender
would." ) and doesn't translate well.

About the eraser icon, in the Color theme there's a mysterious grey
dot on it, zooming on the svg file I saw it was a little design on top
of the eraser. It's a nice detail but in a small icon it's more
confusing than anything. A plain eraser would probably be better.

Adding a comment from Pippin on IRC, since I think he will never post himself:

--
20:48 < pippin> with a very critical hat,. blend, warp and perspective .. are the tools I find hardest to discern at the moment
--

Actually I liked the old warp tool icon. Not sure why we changed the design. As for perspective, it's true that the wireframe box is not obvious immediately, even though it makes some sense.

Anyway ideally if people have alternative ideas for icons which you find hard to guess, you are welcome.

Jehan

Regards
[...]

First of all thanks for the feedback. As some of gimp's icons are in a proof-of-concet mode this is quite necessary.

My five cents:

Warp-tool was painted by Barbara Muraus from Art-Libre project. It was adopted first by Inkscape for all of it's three icon themes (generic, symbolic and tango) as warp-icon. Somebody used it for Gimp symbolic too, so it was quite logical to me, to make use of it in Gimp-colored too (which is tango based). Personally I had my problems with this icon, it is nothing to love at-a-first-glance. But the more I thought about an alternative, the more I began to accept it as it is. My conclusion: unless sombody comes along with a better idea suitable and accepted for Inkscape-generic, Inkscape-tango, Inkscape-symbolic and Gimp-symbolic it will stay in Gimp-colored. Personally I would prefer something like are warped 'muschellinie' by Alfred Duerer (http://www.matheraetsel.de/archiv/Kurvenanalyse/Muschelkurve/muschel1.pdf)

The original gimp-tool-eraser is a rather clumsy and pink ...
In the region where I live are lot's of companies producing pencils, brushes and other drawing and painting tools. Many of these companies produce and sell erasers too and all of them have their logo printed on upside (to distinguish them from cheap copies):

E.g. Faber-Castell uses two fighting-knights, Stabilo has a swan and Staedtler shows a symbol of mars (the god of war).

So I thought why not make the eraser a little more natural and print a logo on it ? Naturally using gimp itself is a better idea, I correct this.

Gimp-tool-blend. You are right, it was not my best idea (no it didn't come to my mind because of the english term blender, in german it's named quite different).

I wanted something not square (because all other tool icons aren't square) and something not only showing one type of gradient (which seems impossible). Unfortunately inkscape uses a square (what I want to avoid), but wait, libreoffice uses a diamond shape, better. As both use 'handels' (for start and second color), the way for painting gimp-tool-blend seams clear: the handles with a gradient in background (no sure which one looks best, something I must test).

Gimp-tool-perspective was already part of Gimp-symbolic when I entered the boat. I only harmonized gimp-symbolic with gimp-colored. Personally I believe it is a good interpretation and symbolization of an isometric perpective.

Thanks for your support and assistance to find a better gimp-tool-blend icon.

Klaus Staedtler