Re: [Gimp-gui] Simplifying The GIMP Menus

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 6:40 PM, john smith wrote:

It is funny that you mention Save As/ Export as that was going to be
my next email :)
However, let's not get into that now!

I have simplified all of the menus including the tools menu. The
filters menu is another item that is not completely controlled by the
XML though.
Ideally I would remove most of them and leave just the most common ones behind.

My goal is to have a version that is easy (easier?/clearer?) to use
for people who are just trimming screenshots, cleaning up/rotating
scanned receipts, removing red-eye etc.

As long as most of the tools have useful defaults and they are named
in an intuitive way, and the interface isn't full of overwhelming
choices that you don't understand, I think it could become more
approachable for new people.

If this was a preference rather than editing XML people could
gradually progress to more advanced editing.

John,

I'm afraid I have to be blunt here :)

Please read this: http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/GIMP_UI_Redesign#product_vision

You want GIMP to be something else. Moreoover, the use cases you
describe have already been covered by existing applications such as
Pinta (also free/libre application).

It's entirely possible to create a new app that will use GIMP's tech.
Case in point:

https://debarshiray.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/the-goats-have-strayed-into-gnome/

Or you can try to do what Seashore developer did to the original
GIMP's codebase:

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_Seashore_Project/About.html

Either way, you want a different kind of application.

Alex