Re: [Gimp-gui] Food for thought: the clumsiness of the current layer creation proces

Hi,

On 2015-12-15 22:03, Ofnuts wrote:
On 15/12/15 15:07, Jehan wrote:

I am not sure creating shortcut buttons or actions for 3 specific combinations is really a good idea. My personal preference for instance is mostly "image-sized and transparent" (even when I want a background, I usually create my transparent layer first in 1 click, then drag'n drop the fg color over it and tada! Much faster than going through the New Layer dialog). This is like 90% of my needs. So for instance if we were to compare my needs to your proposition, we would create 2 new buttons which I would consider cluttering the UI for not that big a workflow improvement.

So in the end, I'm not sure if you are not taking particular cases and putting them in the UI.

I'm not talking about buttons, I'm talking about direct-action
keyboard shortcuts. But I agree that the filled version isn't
necessary. So that leaves us with two.

I have already said it but since you keep only a small part of my email: if you read the thread that Joseph Buppe linked earlier, you will see that some people always use the white, others used the foreground fill, etc. Nothing seems to indicate that making transparent layers are more a more common action. You and I are not representative of the whole userbase.

The more I think about it, the less I think we should make default action for every particular create-a-layer case. Now custom actions are very easy to create in a plugin. If all you need is an action, why don't you simply make yourself a few-line plugin? This is why the plugin system was created: to handle specific use cases. I myself have made several of these (plugins of a few lines which just add simple actions — which I need — to map to a shortcut) and that fits perfectly my needs.

Our plugin API is far from perfect and it cannot do some things (like updating the default UI); but creating actions, this is no problem.

Jehan