Re: [Gimp-gui] About symbolic dark/light themes

Hi,

On 2015-12-10 03:53, Andrew Pullins wrote:
We'd be happy to have contributors to the new official theme. This
is the reason of my opening this thread. :-)

You are welcome to check the master branch and propose some of your
icons (or newly made) for the missing icons, or even propose
different icons for the existing symbolic ones if you believe you
have a better symbol to represent a function. Just make bug reports
with your proposed icons.

I want to be clear I am not trying to force you to use my theme.  I
just wanted to enter the conversation and let you all know people seem
to really like my theme.

Nobody is forced to do anything. This is Free Software. If you have a working theme for GIMP 2.10 that could be a good fit as default theme, we'd be happy to get it in. Contributors are always wanted. Of course we will review propositions and may ask to change things if we think some parts are not right for the default theme.

So if you are interested into contributing, I would suggest getting a build of GIMP master (not the release which did not have the icon theme fix yet) and try to get your theme working there. In any case, this can't be wasted time. Even if your theme were not the default dark theme of GIMP, you'd still need to make it up to date to have it working with GIMP 2.9/2.10.

This is how it works in GIMP 2.9 (and 2.10). Old themes with icons
set in the gtkrc simply won't work, I believe.

Oh cool! I have not ran 2.9 in some time.  I know that my theme will
have to have a major over hall on account of moving from GTK2 to GTK3.

GIMP 2.10 is still not using GTK+3.0 yet. This will be for the next major release (GIMP 3.0). Thus I guess GIMP 2.10 themes may not be that far from GIMP 2.8 themes, except for the fact that icons are now separate.

Jehan