Re: [Gimp-docs] [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-web] Proposed gimp tutorial

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 08:59:04PM -0700, Stephen Kiel wrote:
Marco,

Thanks for all of your help!  Getting the tutorial published was more
complicated than I originally anticipated, but it was definitely worth it.

I do have a question for you:

If I were to write another tutorial, is there anything that I could do to
make the release or publication process easier?  I am not sure if there
were things that you had to fix in order to publish the tutorial.  If I
made some mistakes, it would be a good time for me to take note of them so
I don't repeat them.

Stephen Kiel

Right question, I do not really know the answer(s).

I myself have had some difficoulties to have your tutorial published.

I asked help to a friend of mine for testing in local the gimp site pages
before publication.
I successfully tested your tutorial using the nginx web server instead of Apache.
I was NOT able to test it under Apache btw...
Even when local testing went well (without errors) the publication went wrong.
Automatic compilation was blocked by a couple of errors in the tutorial pages.
It seems that my version of python is less picky about small errors in the
htrw pages so it was not so easy to find the errors in the first place.
Specifically the code into the web pages, the text in <pre class="code">
MUST BE QUOTED since there are a couple of "<" and ">" inside it that
confuse it a bit. Once quoted compilation and consequently site update went
well.

Some developers complained about the scheme code. They say that it
is a bit "C like" and not really "scheme/lisp like" and since it
should be a teaching example, it should be rewritten to be a better
code for beginners and students.

Please forgive my bad english and ... don't shoot the messenger! :-)

bye

--

Marco Ciampa

| Linux User  #78271 |