Re: [Gimp-docs] [Gimp-web] Proposed gimp tutorial

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 07:22:07AM -0700, Stephen Kiel wrote:
Roman and Pat,

I have made some progress toward getting my tutorial ready for release, but
I am at a point now where I have hit a wall, and I would like to ask for
some advice on how to proceed.

I did do a final edit of the tutorial, format it into xhtml, and add a
couple of pictures. I downloaded a copy of Bluefish and used it to format
the material into an xhtml file adding the boilerplate provided in the
tutorial template by hand. It seemed to render well in the Firefox browser.

I did find a procedure for adding content through git web at
https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/Developers and followed it as best as I could. I
was able to clone the gimp-web, check out a branch, make local changes and
commit them, but then my progress stopped. My questions are:

 1) when I performed a 'git branch -r' several branches were listed. I
guessed and picked HEAD as it appeared to link to origin/master. When I did
a 'git status' and 'git commit -a' I got a warning message that “refname
'HEAD' is ambiguous”. Did I pick the wrong branch? Is there another
problem, or is this warning normal?

HEAD is the generic name for the "head" of a [your] local branch... see this
for an intro into git:

http://www.sbf5.com/~cduan/technical/git/

what you probably want to do is:

git checkout master

to see _all_ the branches

git branch --all

 2) The guidelines I was looking at seemed to be saying I could either use
'git-bz' or 'git push' to get my changes back to the main repository.

better to use the second ...

Neither worked,

have you write rights?

so I was wondering which technique I should focus on. Would
rather not debug them both at this time (could use quite a bit of time,
since I don't know what either is trying to do).

 The error message that I go with git-bz was:

bash: git-bz: command not found...

if ubuntu / debian you have to:

apt-cache show git-bzr-ng

but ... are you more confident with bazar? Why you want to insist on use
such an iterface module? I do not suggest you to use such tool ... use
directly git!

 The error message from git push –dry-run was:

that was what I was saying above...

and the repository exists.

 A git pull –rebase right before trying the push seemed to find the
repository and verify that my current branch is up to date.

ok

 I would appreciate any pointers you could give me. I am attaching a copy
of the transcript from my shell session. I am also attaching a copy of the
files I was trying to add & modify in case it is relevant or you would like
to take a look at them.

I'll look at those ...

 In the mean time, I will start looking at git-bz in case that is the write
way to go. It looks like there may be some setup issues, even though the
error message make it look like it is an installation issue. The options
for the bz command were not clear to me. The wiki page indicated the syntax
should be:

git-bz file product/component HEAD

I am guessing the product should be 'gimp-web', but when I look at
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=gimp-web I see the
component listed as both gimp-web and www.gimp.org. Do you know which it
should be, or whether it matters?

git-web

When it asks for 'file' I am assuming it
is looking for the results of the local 'commit'. In my case the feedback
was

[HEAD a97ce5a] Added tutorial Automate Creation fo XCF from JPG"

Are they looking for a97ce5a as the file?

see the illuminating above tutorial... that is a header and it is just a
checksum for your branch "state"

bye

PS: sorry I haven't followed the thread until now... I'll read all
mailing exchanges to give more useful answers ...

--

Marco Ciampa

| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |