Re: [Gimp-docs] Added dynamics

I hope you do not mind if I switch this tread publicly...

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 09:36:27PM +0100, Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:
> Den 30.10.2012 16:39, skreiv Marco Ciampa:
> >On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:02:13PM +0200, Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:
> >>A few moments ago I added src/toolbox/paint/dynamics.xml to the
> >>gimp-help-2 repository.
> >>This is a first sketch. Hoping someone will correct it, add new
> >>sections etc.
> >>I have no drawing pad or something like that so it is impossible for
> >>me to write about using it.
> >>Of course this is not the only way of describing the dynamics. Only
> >>meant as a start point. As usual: Feel free to make changes.
> >>Kolbjoern
> >I do not understand this:
> >
> >"Mostly moving to the right and moving downward the color is picked from
> >the left side of the gradient and the other directions get the color
> >picked from the right half of the gradient"
> Not so strange. It is obviously wrong.
> >
> >Mostly? Would you clarify this passage, please?
> >
> >Sorry my english is not very good...
> Looks fine to me.

Yeah grammatically but I meant a different thing so you see that I was
not able to explain it clearly... so it is my fault.

In that passage I was in trouble in understanding what you actually was
trying to say and not arguing on the behaviuor of the function that only
accidentally works in a different manner of you was describing...

> >PS: very good work!
> Thank you
>

> Most of the work has been done by using the trial and error method.

I understand... and it is not an easy job...

> A few found on internet. I obviously did a bad job here running too
> few tests on the subject.

Not your fault... there is no docs on the subject... devs expecting docs
writers to be able to read sources, that means that they ask for
programmers, not writers / translators...

> As a consequence of your mail today I tried the color-direction
> dynamics again. With some different results!

Non tibi hoc soli ... ;-)

> It looks like the colors are chosen not as systematically as I first
> found out, but at more or less by random.  Or do you have another
> explanation? I would be grateful to know.

Please ask devs!

> As I said, this is an attempt to get other people engaged in writing
> this chapter. The lack of description of the dynamics is a great
> loss to many people using GIMP.

I perfectly agree...

> Adding one of my many attempts to figure out how the color-direction works.
> Btw: This time I used GIMP 2.8.2 on Windows 7.

I use (almost always) GIMP under Linux :-)

> Thank you for drawing my attention on this fault.

Thank you for affording this task for all us.

PS: a note on style. Every time you write " in the toolbox" I think you
mean " in the tool options panel" or " in the tool option dialog", right?
IHMO it is better, when in doubt, to use the more verbose but clearer form...

--

Marco Ciampa

| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |