[Gimp-developer] Changes in GIMP 2.10 - Filters etc.

Hallo everybody,

first of all, I want to thank you for your great work and effort that
you have put into GIMP becoming better and greater. Everytime you have
published a new GIMP, it was great to find out about new features and
new filters. Since I first installed it in 2004 (version 2.0) until now,
it has gone through a lot of development.

I'm running quite a german comunity, that has startet about 15 years
ago, - gimp-werkstatt-forum.de - . During this time the community has
written about 400 Tutorials. We have developed a few courses, of how to
use GIMP, like a beginners course and 4 workshops for digital
scrapbooking wich are for free, and I wrote an extemsive comoercial
course of how to use GIMP, that I adjusted for every version of GIMP
until 2.8.

Now I do have a question about the ongoing development to GIMP 2.10 and
a little wish:

I do see, that there is quite a lot of changes and additions within the
small updates of GIMP. I thinks it's great, to see, that there are new
ideas beeing transfert to GIMP, but is there some sort of a time
schedule for the releases? We are updating our courses and tutorials for
GIMP 2.10 at the moment and my hope is, that we don't have to change
them within the next few months again.

Now my wish:

Whithin our tutorials, we do use the drop-shadow-filter quite a lot,
especially within the scrap-workshops. There is still the old one there,
but my guess is, that it will vanish sooner or later. The settings in
the new drop-shadow are quite different but that's OK for us. I only
wish, it would leave the shadow on an extra layer, like the old filter
did, so that you can still work on the shadow with the transform-tools
and change the opacity etc. Would that be a big change to the new
drop-schaddow-filter? I have no idea of programming, but it would be
really great to have this extra layer back.

Thanks a lot in advance

Anke Lange

--
https://www.gimp-werkstatt.de