Re: [Gimp-developer] Fw: Suggestd enhancement

Replying to Adalbert now,

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 21:49:21 +0300
Shlomi Fish <shlomif shlomifish org> wrote:

Hi Adalbert!

Please reply to list next times, see:

https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/netiquette/email/reply-to-list.html

You sent this message in private and it was misclassified as spam (which may
be my filters' fault).

Regards,

      Shlomi

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 14:36:26 +0200
From: Adalbert Hanßen <Adalbert Hanssen gmx de>
To: Shlomi Fish <shlomif shlomifish org>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Suggestd enhancement

Shlomi,

thank you for your answer. I encountered the problem with GIMP 2.8.22 which I
preferred to use because GIMP 2.10 came as a snap installation and that did
not cooperate with my delayed xfce4-screenshooter starter

xfce4-screenshooter -fmd 7 -o gimp

(unfortunately I use version 1.8.2 of xfce4-screenshooter which does not allow
to set the output directory and the standard output directory /tmp is not
available in the snap-installed GiIMP 2.10.)

Now I realized that I can use the snap installed version of GIMP in parallel
to the installed 2.8.22. Now put some text onto the clipboard and I realized
that your observation is right. I do not have klipper installed on my
computer. I got the message "die Zwischenablage enthält keine Bilddaten, die
eingefügt werden können" (no image data on the clipboard).

However this might have been not the right test since the older version does
the same! You may be right, that

xfce4-screenshooter -crm

sometimes does not put an image onto the clipboard although I select a
rectangular part of the screen. I'll come back to that when I have an example
which does not work wit 2.8.22 but does with 1.10.20 (or does not work with
that one).

Thanks! You may be able to find an updated /usr/bin/gimp in a distro upgrade.

The problem with greying out menu options is that often the user is unable
to tell why they are greyed out, and what to do to reenable them. So it
will be a usability issue. A note "no pastable image on the clipboard" on
the status bar would tell the reason. < Furthermore, GIMP will need to
query the clipboard before displaying the menu bar or menu which will
likely also be time consuming on your end.

Of course one would have to enquire the type of stuff on the clipboard. But I
think that will be much faster than what GIMP does. Apparently if you had an
image on the clipboard and then copy some text to it, then GIMP still pastes
the image. So the clipboard in Xubuntu seems to be a bit more complicated than
I thought before. I don't know for sure what GIMP really does if the content
of the clipboard is "no graphics object", like some text or some table or a
pointer to an file which is not an image... Those who are prepared to debug
GIMP might take a look what happens until GIMP finally throws in the towel
because there is no graphics on the clipboard. I guess that's much more work
until it finally throws and recovers from such an event and therefore my idea
was that it is better to check that earlier. But perhaps just that already has
happened between 2.8.22 and 2.10.20.

X.org has several clipboards - "primary", "secondary" - it's a bit of a mess:

see e,g:
https://metacpan.org/source/SHLOMIF/Clipboard-0.26/lib/Clipboard/Xclip.pm .

Kind regards

Adalbert Hanßen

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Summerschool-at-the-NSA/

Chuck Norris round house kicks doors open instead of using their keys.
Summer Glau makes sure doors are open using her mind.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Summer-Glau/