Re: [Gimp-developer] Watching gui commands with console

To my estimation it would be great if a readable series of transformations would always be recorded. But I am
not knowledgeable about the code of Gimp. - Since the GUI just figures out necessary parameters, e.g. the box
coordinates for a crop operation, the creation of layers and all other operations done with them, finally it
has to call them all with those parameters substituted into the parameters of the functions themselves. I
expect there already is or should be relatively few places, where the function names and the parameters could
exist in a string per function call. This would be the right place to record them. If the operation is jut an
undo operation, it would be the right place to also remove the last item from the stack of operations.

I think, there must be some mechanism of this kind already in Gimp- or how else"undoes" Gimp its operations
if told to do so? Does it really save each completeintermediatestep on a stack in order to undo operations?

Such a recording of functions might even include calls to plugin functions provided they don't run dialogues
themselves: if they are just invoked, their invocation (plus any parameters, if they are also handed down)
might not only be used for calling the operational part of the extension, but also to save their names and
parameters just for documentation purposes.

However for extensions which run their own interactive dialogues, an interface to push another "real function
call with parameters" becomes necessary to make such a feature universally feasible.