[Gimp-developer] When writing a GIMP Plugin using Python, how can the Plugin determine and/or set the Colour Profile of any image that it operates on?

Hello.

I am writing a GIMP Plugin using Python, and I would like to know how my
Plugin can determine and/or set the Colour Profile of any image that it
operates on.

The reason I ask this, is because I have some PNG files which have been
generated from a PDF file by the ImageMagick convert utility. If I didn't
know better, I would say that this ImageMagick utility is embedding the
following Colour Profile into the images which it generates and stores in
the resulting PNG files;

    Artifex Software sRGB ICC Profile

I also have some PNG files which have been generated by the gnuplot
utility. The images in these files have the following Colour Profile
embedded within them;

    sRGB

When I copy and paste a gnuplot generated image into one of the other
images, the colours of the plots in the gnuplot generated image get altered
upon pasting. If I didn't know better, I'd say this is due to the
difference in the Colour Profiles, because if I load the PDF file straight
into GIMP and then inspect it - it has the sRGB Colour Profile. Then, when
I copy and paste the same gnuplot generated image into it, the colours of
the plots are correct!

I don't know a great deal about this subject material, so please excuse me
if I have asked something silly. I hope I have explained this clearly and
have provided sufficient information. Any assistance on this matter would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.