Re: [Gimp-developer] Tuning and choosing resampling methods in GEGL/GIMP

On 10/23/2017 10:03 AM, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
This is what an adaptively increasing the OFFSET0 constant for
significant downscaling in the sources might achieve - do note that
what is meant by significant downscaling here is when scaling down to
below 1% of original size - even in such scenarios nohalo will already
be doing a good job.

OK, that sounds less scary than the commit message!

As an aside, with today's high-pixel-count cameras, we are already at the point where resizing an image for display on the web might get the downscaling somewhat close to 1%. Resizing a 6000px wide image to 600 pixels - that's 10% for a 24 megapixel camera, and there are cameras with much larger sensors out there.

I believe that even without further enhancement
we should use nohalo as the default sampler.

Normally I only resize single-layer images, or at most images with a few layers, so the speed of nohalo hasn't been a concern, and I do have nohalo set as the default. But there are cases when users will want to operate on large layer stacks.

Is the revised version of nohalo fast enough to handle a large image size with a lot of layers, even for various transforms? There doesn't seem to be a cancel button for various transformations for cases where users might not have checked the default settings before setting in motion a tranform that will take a long time.

Best,
Elle