Re: [Gimp-developer] Size on disk vs size reported on status bar

Hi again!

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
On 10/03/2017 01:21 PM, Simon Budig wrote:

The current generation XCF files can contain compressed image data.

When I save XCF files I don't use the option in the Save dialog to compress
the data. Is there some other compression going on automatically?

Yes, XCF historically uses RLE compression, which is basic hence not
great, but still enough for a very simple image with a lot of
identical (i.e. same color) adjacent pixels (as I understand your
image is).

The option in the save dialog is about activating the newer zlib
compression instead, which is much more sophisticated and should
therefore result in even smaller files. But on very simple files,
simple compression can work great too (sometimes even better than
complex compression, that's rare but it may happen).

Jehan

Best,
Elle