Re: [Gimp-developer] Show clipped and out of gamut colors using blinking colors

On 11/02/2017 04:21 PM, Ell via gimp-developer-list wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 09:03:01 -0400
Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:

Hi All,

It would be really nice to be able to click a button or have a view
module option that would indicate clipped colors by coloring them in
some way (perhaps black for shadows, white for highlights), with an
option to make these pixels blink.

master has a clip-warning display filter now (commit 5b118a260b), which
does that.  No blinking, though :)

Hi Ell, and thank you! That clip warning display filter is really nice!

Regarding the blinking, personally I don't much like blinking pixels - probably the only advantage of blinking is to draw attention to very small areas that have out of display range colors. Seeing these areas probably requires zooming in to 100% for just about all image editing softwares, so the blinking per se doesn't seem all that useful.

Yesterday when I compiled GIMP the new filter was there, but nothing was happening on the image - not sure why. But today I updated GIMP again, and recompiled, and made an image that was a gradient from -1.0f to +2.0f. The gradient ran from the upper left to the lower right corner. The Clip Warning shows diagonal parallel red and black bars for the highlights, and diagonal parallel blue and black bars for the shadows.

Are there supposed to be diagonal bars instead of solid blotches of the user-chosen warning colors? If so, how would this work with images with just speckles and very small areas of out of display range colors? I'll try to do some more experimenting later on today.

The option to choose the clipping warning colors is really nice, allows to choose different default colors, and also to change the warning colors for images that actually have a lot of in-gamut colors that are displayed close to the preset colors.

Best,
and again thank you! The new clip warning was such a nice surprise!
Elle