Re: [Gimp-developer] Masks not very effective in 2.9 scheme script

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 08:21:32AM -0400, Ell via gimp-developer-list wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 00:38:17 +0100
Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop ntlworld com> wrote:

Hi,

TL;DR - using masks in a 2.8 scheme script works as intended to
extract parts of an image, but after converting it for 2.9 it does
much less.

The most likely reason for the different results, is that in 2.9 masks
use the pixels' linearized intensity as the alpha value, while in 2.8
they use the gamma-corrected intensity.  The linearized intensity
values are generally lower than the gamma-corrected ones, so the
resulting mask values, after pasting a desaturated image into the mask,
are lower in 2.9 than they would be in 2.8, resulting in a subtler
effect.  Note that these sorts of interactions is something we're still
working on.

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I'll have to get back on the 2.9
machine at some point to work through the options.  Meanwhile, I've
saved a full copy of your mail in my notes.

Cheers.

ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment