[Gimp-developer] Painting on a text layer, turning it into a regular layer?

I wasn't actually trying to paint on a text layer. But I had inadvertently selected a text layer when I used the brush tool, and the text disappeared under the paint.

Is this new behavior? This is from babl/GEGL/GIMP from git updated this morning (commit 188a82552b).

I'm kind of hoping this is a bug and not the actually intended behavior.

Best,
Elle