Re: [Gimp-developer] New Image/Color Management option

Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:

I can't think of a single use case for trying to edit a non-color-manged
image in an ICC profile color-managed editing application such as GIMP.

I think I can think of one: creating displacement/bump maps (often used as
textures in 3D graphics). Often in that case, pixel values aren't treated as
color, but a numeric non-color data (i.e. it's an instruction to displace
geometry---or other pixels---by this numeric mapping value).

But perhaps the artists that create these maps are not covered in the audience
specified in GIMP's vision statement.

  -Jason

/me scurries off to a corner