Re: [Gimp-developer] git commit problems

Den 14.01.2016 16:55, Tobias Ellinghaus skreiv:
Am Donnerstag, 14. Januar 2016, 16:40:02 schrieb Kolbjørn Stuestøl:
Den 14.01.2016 12:29, Alexandre Prokoudine skreiv:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:
When committing my translation all looks well on my local copy. But my
translations do not shows up in the https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/
site.>
With basic configuration (author name and email) and a combination of...

1. git clone ssh://[username]@git.gnome.org/git/gimp
2. git commit -m "[description]" [file]
3. git push origin master

...you should be able to get work done.
Thank you.
I'll give this a try later this night.

What exactly did you do to push?
Oh, I forgot to add a copy of this command in my e-mail. Should be:
     $ git commit -m "Updated Norwegian (nn) translations"
     [master 7b2f8a5] Updated Norwegian (nn) translations
       mode change 100644 => 100755 po-plug-ins/nn.po
       mode change 100644 => 100755 po-python/nn.po
$ git push

I have never added anything to the push command like "git push origin
master" as you write.
I do not remember the answer from the server. Sorry.
To me (unskilled git user) it looks like the push command did not
reached the server or was performed in an unusual way or something. But
this is a guess.
Try "git status", maybe it told you that you have to fetch changes from the
server first? In that case just run "git pull" [0] and then "git push" again.
Thank you for your answer and advise.

"git status" returned:
'On branch master
Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
and have 1 and 8 different commits each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)'
and then a list of about 450 modified images ("icons/Symbolic/…") (but not by me) + a few other files.

"git pull" returned:
remote: Counting objects: 9, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (5/5), done.
From ssh://git.gnome.org/git/gimp
   6ba9acd..2e7ebde  master     -> origin/master
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
        themes/The-Dark-Side-of-Gimp/gtkrc
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting
I have not changed "themes/The-Dark-Side-of-Gimp/gtkrc" or other files except a few nn.po files not listed. So I could delete the file, and then the next file(s) to be overwritten and so one.

A proof that my "git push" did not reach the server for some reason or other?

As I said before I am an unskilled (and a bit lazy) git user who think it is safest and easiest for me to start all over again with "git clone …".

Kolbjørn

Kolbjørn
Tobias

[0] Now people will scold me and tell you that you should use "git fetch" and
then rebase. Better wait for them to give you exact commands to run, I have no
idea about those.