Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-web] Gitlab as a replacement for registry.gimp.org

On 1 April 2016 at 18:14, Kasim Ahmic <kasim ahmic gmail com> wrote:
I personally am a huge supporter of redoing the registry, and I like the ideas you've proposed here. My
only concern is one that was actually brought up by someone else a few months ago; registry integration
within GIMP and the possibility of viruses.

I don't quite remember who mentioned it, but they brought up that registry integration within GIMP itself
could potentially open the doors to viruses unless a virus detection feature was built into GIMP as well.
Now, I'm not entirely sure how true this is but I would like to hear a final say on this whether this is an
actual issue or not.

If it is an issue, what would be the best way to handle it? I'd imagine that building virus scanning within
GIMP would take quite a long time and be pretty impractical. As such, I would suggest that we go with a
self hosted solution so that we could incorporate a virus scanner on there to scan all the uploaded assets.
Either that, or a hosted solution like GitLab that come with a virus scanning option along with it.

Again, not sure how much of an issue this even is. Just a thought.

So - this would be one of the main  purposes of a "curation" -
Only non-malicious assets would be made available as "safe" from the
server-side.
Having security features on the client side (i.e. on the computer of
the person running GIMP), is
not feasible: one single line of code in a rogue plug-in can wipe the
user harddrive.
. Assuring assets are safe, even if few, and can't be maliciously
modified, in the repository is hard enough -
but can be done.

The hard-to-balance thing is allowing publication of assets by a large
amount of people, and having process/volunteers
to ensure these assets are safe. Either way, I think the download and
install should be done with a few clicks from wthin GIMP itself -
we don't have to burden users to locate the file in a browser,
download it, copy it to the right folder, set its file properties
if that is not needed. If the assets represent a danger, they will
represent an equal danger in this "manual way".

 - Kasim Ahmić

Sent from my iPhone