Re: [Gimp-developer] Create New Layer Button

On 03/27/2015 09:59 AM, Joseph Bupe wrote:
It would be better to have short-cut menu that corresponds to the layer
content. That way issues like this one wouldn't arise.
For instance, if I have a selection with matching ants, the menu would
have options like:
- fill selection with fg colour
- fill selection with bg colour
- stroke selection
etc
IMO, the current short-cut menu isn't so helpful.
joseph

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "short-cut menu that corresponds to the layer content".

There are many things that the user might want to do next after making a selection, and what might be "obviously the next move" for one person's workflow might not ever be done in the next person's workflow.

I use selections a lot. After making a selection I might:

- invert or feather the selection
- turn the selection into a mask
- save the selection as a channel
- use channels to modify the selection
- apply Curves or Levels to the selected area
- paint on a mask confining the brush strokes to the selected area
- use the Clone tool confined to the selected area
- blur the selected area

and so on. Filling a selected area with a color is pretty much at the bottom of the list of actions I might take after making a selection.

GIMP's menu is complicated because GIMP provides many tools. Efforts to simplify or modify the current menu would need to account for many different workflows.