[Gimp-developer] Managing layers manually between layer-to-image-size and crop-to-content

Managing layers manually between layer-to-image-size and crop-to-content in
order to be able to work with certain tools or filters is, in my opinion,
too devious. E.g If I want to use Aligment tool - I have to crop-to-content
to remove empty borders, which also works better with transform tools; If I
want to add a drop-shadow  - I have to convert layer-to-image-size.

Is the proposed automatic layer boundary management going to take care of
this situation? If not, maybe layers should be in a crop-to-content mode by
default and allow the content's bounds expand automatically only when
adding effects like drop shadow. At least this is how it's done in Inkscape.

Regards.

Joseph