Re: [Gimp-developer] Asking for a Miracle !?

I truly have never understood the argument that Photoshop has a better UI
then GIMP and that GIMPs UI is ugly or sucks. I never understood GIMPshop,
all it does is rearranged the dialogs to be in the same default
configuration as Photoshop and changes the hot key settings to be more like
Photoshop... That's it.. Does not do anything the user could not do them
selves.  In my opinion Photoshop and GIMP pretty much have the same UI.
Don't think so? Let me break it down.

Both Photoshop and GIMP have the ability to be multiple window mode or
single window mode.

Photoshop by default has a toolbar to the very left, GIMP has by default a
toolbar to the very left.  The user has the ability to move the toolbar
where ever they want in both programs. In both programs the toolbar can be
floating or apart of the window. Both Photoshop and GIMPs toolbar generally
contain the same tools.

In the middle of the UI both Photoshop and GIMP have a canvas. Not too
exiting here, its where all your work is done. You have rollers, scroll
bars, and a status bar to give you information about what you are currently
doing.

Photoshop does have what GIMP calls the tool option dialog as a toolbar at
the top of the canvas(which I believe GIMP should have the option to do as
well). This is the only noticeable difference when you first load up GIMP.
After that people will find other differences.

To the right of the UI both Photoshop and GIMP have dialogs. They both act
very much the same, except Photoshop has the ability to collapse there's.
GIMP does not have all the dialogs that Photoshop does but it has the most
essential ones. Each dialog has a menu to give you options that only apply
to that dialog in both Photoshop and GIMP.

There is a menu above the invite window that for the most part is the same
in both Photoshop and GIMP. You can modify the image, layer, and filters
here. That's pretty much all people use the menu for.

Everything that Photoshop has that GIMP does not is mostly just fluff and
not really needed. Most everything you can do in Photoshop can be achieved
in GIMP. You just might need to work harder to do so.

The only thing I see as a true problem for people is GIMPs theme. The theme
gets in the way and distracts people from creating art. At least this is
what I have heard from many people and is my own experience.  I think I
have spent more time thinking about how the UI could be better, and wishing
for a flat theme then I have creating art in gimp.  And I know of many
others who say the same. That is why i created The Flat GIMP Icon Theme
[1], to let GIMP get out of your way and let you create art.

[1]
http://android272.deviantart.com/art/Flat-GIMP-icon-Theme-V-2-1-375010811