Re: [Gimp-developer] Bug found: Unified transform and perspective tool fail silently when layer is hidden.

Is this what you mean by "original layer"? If a layer stack has two
layers, A and B, with B as the upper layer, and if a transform/rotate/etc
tool is used on B, the "original layer" is layer B *before* the tranform,
and the transformed layer is what B would look like if the transform were
made using the current settings.

Yes, Elle, I think you got it. :)

If I understand what you mean by "original layer", I don't need to see the
original layer B. What I really do need to see is layer A, meaning I'd like
the option to set the opacity of the transformed layer B to 50% so I can
compare the transformed layer B to layer A.

Unfortunately right now lowering the opacity of layer B on which the
transform is being done doesn't seem to allow to see layer A through the
*transformed* layer B.

You can currently kinda get around this by setting the "Image opacity" in
the Tool options palate for unified transform tool to less than 100%.
Unfortunately, unless you also change the "Opacity" field in the layer
palate, the untransformed layer B is still in the way.

Thus my proposal:

hide/remove the untransformed version of layer B while the user is
transforming it, and set the default "Image opacity" for the transform tool
to 50% by default.
This would get layer B out of the way, and let you see translucently a bit
of what is under the transformation preview as well (layer A).

-C

Elle