Re: [Gimp-developer] Bug found: Unified transform and perspective tool fail silently when layer is hidden.

One solution that involves keeping the original untransformed are:
add checkbox "show original" in the transform tool menu.
I still recommend that is is turned off by default, along with the "grid",
which also gets in the way of seeing the transform.

What I mainly use the perspective transform tool for is applying a screen
graphic to a powered-off device to make it look like it's turned on, so I
need to see what is behind it. I also perform minor perspective adjustments
to objects in photo collages to make them look like they were sitting next
to eachother. I have never found keeping the original there to be useful in
any way, which is why I suggest it be hidden by default. I also suggest
(while I'm suggesting things ;P), that the transparency of the
transformation preview be taken down to 75% opacity by default (though
keeping in changeable is good). This provides an even greater visibility to
what's underneath, so you can ensure you are not covering up essential
elements of what is underneath.

tldr: For me, context visibility is everything with the transform tool. I
always transform in relation to other layers, or the border of the image,
never in relation to the original, so I definitely agree with Gez on that.

-C

-C