Re: [Gimp-developer] Updating the website for all the broken download links?

Hi Sven,

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM, scl <scl gplus gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

yesterday I came across http://www.gimp.org/develop/
and clicked the link 'INSTALL'. It refers to
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/plain/INSTALL,
which doesn't exist anymore in this form.
This raised a question: can the link checker also
detect dead links that don't result in an HTTP
error but in simply nothing or unreadable garbage?

Well in this case, the URL you gave is actually a 404 error even
though it does not show in the browser (at least in my Firefox, it
shows as just a blank page). You can see it is a 404 by doing a wget
for instance.
Thus in the report generated with the program linkchecker, this URL
was listed. In this specific case though, it would actually have
listed it as a warning for being 0 byte even if there had been no
error.

I'll attach the list of errors and warnings I generated a few days ago
(only Sven will get it, since the list will get rid of the attachment,
as usual).
That's quite some work to be done for someone with a little time, and
a few grep or sed commands. :-)

Jehan

Kind regards,

Sven