Re: [Gimp-developer] Two questions about updating GIMP from git

Hi Elle,

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:44:23 -0400
Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:

I update three separate copies of babl/gegl/gimp from git, each in a
prefix, on average once a week.

Other than reading the git logs, is there an easy way to check to see
whether software requirements (png, tiff, glib, etc) have been bumped up?

Also, I've been updating command by command in a virtual terminal and my
computer isn't very fast. I'd like to write a script that executes all
the commands all at once, but exits with an informative error message
printed to screen as soon as something doesn't configure, compile, or
install properly. Does anyone have such a script or know how to write one?

This should be doable with a script written in Shell, Perl 5, Python, Ruby,
etc. by inspecting the status exit code of the command.

E.g: in Bash:

if ! ./configure $PARAMS > configure.log 2>&1 ; then
        echo "Configure command failed"
        exit -1
fi

(Untested!)

There may be a ready made solution, but writing something quick yourself would
probably be less time consuming.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish