Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp Manual Roadmap proposal

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Roman Joost <romanofski gimp org> wrote:
Hi,

I've put together a Roadmap proposal under:

    http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Documentation:Main

Any feedback is welcome. Some of the points are not to be read as: go
ahead and implement, but rather look into it for it's feasibility.

If there are no objections or comments I'd basically call the roadmap
silently as accepted. For each point I think it'll be good to create
bugs so we can track progress.

I've not read it in details and mostly skimmed through.

I got intrigued by a specific point though: moving the manual to
github. Really? I know several (all?) of GNOME's repos have already
been *mirrored* to github. Personally I find it acceptable if repos
are just mirrored (that's after all one of the point of git as a
"distributed" revision control), but not if it is to be considered the
new main repository of the project. github is just another of these
platforms led by a company, just like was Sourceforge (and now look,
with time, all projects are fleeing it, just as we did), and like will
be some other "fashionable" platform in the future. So I say, we keep
control of the main repo. And if a github mirror had to be created,
that would only be to profit of its network effect (why not), but it
must be soon clear to new contributors that they must sync with the
GNOME repo in the end, not the github one.

Was that what you were proposing? If so, ok.

If you really propose to "move" the main repo to github (as it is
worded on the wiki), then I personally vote against.

Jehan

Kind Regards,
--
Roman Joost