Re: [Gimp-developer] Python plugin dev: getting picked color from gimpui.PickButton.color-picked event callback?

You are really trying something very different than what the current
GIMP-Python integration is thought of to do:
You are using gobject introspection to call functions that up to now
have only been called from native-code
plug-ins (normally in C), and have no provision to be called from
Python or other language supported
by gobject introspection but for the automatic generation of the bindings.

I am in fact surprised you could get this far.

GIMP-Python plug-ins, AKA python-fu, are designed to around a python-module
that is delivered with GIMP, and comunicates with GIMP through the
"Procedural database" (PDB).
The module does have some higher level constructs, such as images,
layers, layer-groups,
but these are just rebuilt on the Python side from  values such as
numeric and string IDs fetched
from GIMP through pdb calls.

That said, you can see all your available API by going to help->PDB
browser on GIMP.
(Open any .py file that comes with GIMP to see how the plug-ins are
registered and created,
if yours go on a completely different way by trying to use the libgimp API)

Now, plug-ins in GIMP - neither the ones built using native code - are
not supposed
to be able to change the active tool while running - so, to get
exactly what you want is impossible.

You can make a Python plug-in that will display a custom gtk+ window,
change a layer's visibility,
and display instructions for the user to change to the color picker
tool (maybe your hack with gobject
can do that, but I would not trust it across GIMP versions/platforms),
and pick a color.
At this time, the plug-in can read the picked color with a call to
pdb.gimp_context_get_foreground .

  js
 -><-