Subject: [Gimp-developer] Documentation on color spaces
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 09:20:46 -0400
From: Elle Stone <l elle stone gmail com>

The topic of Documentation came up recently. It occurred to me that
existing and future Gimp developers might find documentation on color
spaces and ICC profiles helpful. So I wrote up a "Completely Painless
Programmer's Guide to XYZ, RGB, ICC, xyY, and TRCs", which is posted
on my website at http://ninedegreesbelow.com/temp/xyz-rgb.html.

If my Guide seems useful to developers, I'll put the content under an
applicable license so it can be hosted elsewhere and modified by other
people.

In the meantime, if anyone would like to read it and give feedback,
corrections, suggestions, I'll edit the Guide to make it more clear,
more useful, etc (if nobody is interested, that's OK too!).

If there's an interest, I'll put together Part 2, which would cover:

* CieLAB (how it relates to XYZ and why it's useful for image editing)
* CMY(K) (how it relates to RGB and XYZ)
* YCbCr, YUV, HSL, and HSV (how these derivative color spaces are
connected to their parent RGB color space)
* LCMS2 (how it links working space profiles with monitor, camera, and
printer profiles)

Elle

--
Elle Stone
http://ninedegreesbelow.com

Just because it's a standard, doesn't mean it's right.