Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP for iPad

On 3 May 2013 01:11, Michael Schumacher <schumaml gmx de> wrote:
On 03.05.2013 00:26, DAVID D BEAZER wrote:

Sent from my iPad - Is anything in the works for developing a version
of GIMP for the iPad.  if so then also being able to link with a desk
top version with changes to the image on the iPad.  As their is a
growing base of iPad users, this might be a very good app to create.

Apple has found this neat hole to make their terms incompatible with the GPL, most likely to quench at least some competition on their closed platforms.

See http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/no-gpl-apps-for-apples-app-store/8046 or https://www.fsf.org/news/2010-05-app-store-compliance or http://adium.im/pipermail/devel_adium.im/2011-January/007973.html or https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement

You shouldn't expect to see GIMP or other GPL'ed FLOSS software you like on the iPad anytime soon.

Or even using LGPL libraries, for the same reasons. This unfortunately also means anything using GEGL.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/459833/which-open-source-licenses-are-compatible-with-the-apples-iphone-and-its-offici

I believe the problem also exists for Google Play store. Then again Firefox for Android is available there, but it could be Google is just to wary of anti-trust to shut it down. /speculation

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com