Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP - flesh out a way of allowing lazy rendering?

On 4 March 2013 15:24, Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion mpc com br> wrote:
Hi all --

While GIMP 2.9 is thriving with lots of possibilities, one thing remain as fact:
it is dead slow.

I most likely missed some of the efforts being done to try to
compensate for that -
like avoiding unnecessary pixel format conversions in some operations - and
the possibility of having GEGL to run with open-CL acceleration.

I think it is not an exaggeration to add that even with this, the
current rendering model
is dead slow.

To the point of being unfeasible to work on a 1024x768 image in modern
hardware -
one simply can't paint.
Other raster application, including GIMP 2.8, are doing OK performance
wise with a rendering mode that is very similar to GIMP uses now, so I
donĀ“t we necessarily need to do drastic changes there in order to fix
the performance.

I think a useful GSoC project would be to define and implement some
meaningful benchmarks for GIMP. If successful, that would give
insights into what the causes of the current performance problems are.
I believe that is needed for coming up with a good solution for
current, and future performance issues.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com