Re: [Gimp-developer] Paths need better display of on-canvas transform tools

On 06/26/2013 05:28 PM, Richard Gitschlag wrote:
I was using the Perspective Distortion on a path-from-text the other day when I noticed a usability gripe:
The tool's on-canvas preview (i.e. the transformation handles and guides) used the entire image canvas size.
Although it did display an on-canvas preview of the path being transformed, the particular skew I was looking
for required stretching the transformation handles well outside the bounds of the image canvas -- not exactly
convenient when the path in question occupies a relatively small portion of the entire image canvas.

For comparison, when you use a transform tool on a layer, GIMP uses the bounds of that layer for the preview
grid (if a selection is present, GIMP also limits it to the layer's selected area).  Likewise, if you use a
transformation tool on the selection mask itself, GIMP also uses the rectangular bounds of that selection.

But when you use a transform tool on a path, GIMP should grab the rectangular bounds of the path you are
modifying and base its preview (transformation handles and guides) on that.  Much more intuitive that it's
modifying a path, not the whole image.

If you have a selection the transform tool handles are on the boundaries of the selection... (the tool will still apply to the whole path)

http://i.imgur.com/ApvhjV0.png