Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:30:38 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>
>> Reformulating: is it possible for a user *who reads and understands all
>> question dialogs which appear to him/her*, to actually lose the layers
>> when saving to JPEG with gimp 2.6?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If yes, how?
>
> By being overly confident and not forward-thinking.

And guess what?  I've done that on occasion myself.  But I don't blame
my tool for that.  What's more, the GIMP 2.8 solution wouldn't have
prevented this, because I'd have done exactly the same thing anyway
(that's the "overly confident and not forward-thinking" bit), just with
a bit more inconvenience and grumbling on my part.  Because my intent
*at the time* was to just write out the JPEG or PNG without worrying
about the layers.

I repeat: *the new GIMP 2.8 behavior would not have prevented me from
making this mistake, because the "mistake" was in fact my intention at
the time, and it was only because I wasn't thinking forward in the
specific case that it happened*.  This was when I was well aware of
layers and XCF files, so it wasn't ignorance -- it was that I didn't
expect to need the layer information again.

As it happens, nothing drastic happened as a result.  I just had to
repeat some work on another copy of the original, to my (minor)
annoyance.  But at least 99% of the time, when I want to save an image
as a JPEG, I have no regrets later.  I don't want to pay the price in
workflow efficiency for that 1% or less where I'm mistaken.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton