Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.7.5 released

---- Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
> Hi,

>GIMP 2.7.5 has been released. This is the last development snapshot in
>the unstable 2.7 series that leads to 2.8. Only release candidates and
>the 2.8 release will follow.

>For a complete list of changes since 2.7.4 please see the "Changes"
>section below. Also see the release notes of the 2.7 series at
>http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.7.html

There is a section of the release notes which discusses tablets and one
or more bugs in GTK+:

"GIMP 2.8 relies on a newer version of GTK+2 that unfortunately has
partially broken support for graphics tablets such as Wacom. If your
graphic tablet doesn't work in GIMP 2.8 as it should, we recommend
downgrading to 2.6 until we release GIMP 3.0 that relies on GTK+3 which
has fully functional support for advanced input devices."

Can anyone point to the specific(or multiple) bug details?  Does 2.7.5
require a greater version of GTK+ compared to 2.7.4?   The reason I
ask is that of course I have a tablet and had some issues with it not
working after unplugging/re-plugging(greyed out in Extended Input
Devices even after reboot).   I did end up doing two things at the time
and one of them ended up fixing the issue with some thoughts thrown out
by people on the IRC channel:

1) rebooted with only tablet plugged up(ie, disconnected my mouse which
was NOT plugged in when the OS, Linux Mint 12, was installed.

2) recompiled gtk+(had to download and compile since distro version
was less than required.. not sure what version I grabbed though) and
added the option to ./configure for, not quite sure of the name and
can't check right now, but something like --with_xinput or something
like that...Which I am fairly sure I did NOT do the first time.

3) recompiled gimp 2.7.4(taken from git the day after 2.7.4 was released).

This ended up fixing the problem.   Needless to say, I have not
dis-connected my tablet again, so I don't know for sure if the issue
would come back or not...   At this point, my tablet is working perfectly
and while I would like to upgrade, I don't want to break the tablet again...