Re: [Gimp-developer] How much money to make a dent in GIMP 2.8?

For sure the project is not stalled - you can watch the progress on
http://www.gimpusers.com/ or you can read articles like this one
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/basic-gpu-side-rendering-and-processing-in-gimp-available
  on libre graphics world website.

But your point is true ..there are a lack of qualified manpower to
speed-up the development and a daily growing list of requests from the
userland.