[Gimp-developer] Suspending display update

I have a python plugin that does very many bucket-fills (potentially several thousands) on small selections. While it runs I see the selections in the image window (but curiously, not the painting), and the painting on the layer thumbnail in the layers list. I assume theses display update take a significant amount of CPU and the script could run faster without them? Is there some way to suspend these updates or is the only technique to duplicate everything in a display-less image and copy back the result?