Re: [Gimp-developer] Filtering image on parameter change

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Grzegorz Karch <grzegorz karch gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm working on a plugin for which I would like to have the image refreshed every time the user changes some parameter in the dialog. That is, instead of viewing changes in the preview window, I wouId like to see them in the working space, just like in the case of Brightness-Contrast filter (or any other in "Colors" menu). Could you give me any hints on which functions I need to use? Or is there any relevant example? I tried to look into the source code (gimpbrightnesscontrasttool.c, for instance) but I couldn't make head nor tail of it...

The tools do that automatically cause they're tools.
Plugins don't and more-or-less can't. You'd be better off implementing your plugin as a GEGL op that GIMP can access (I don't recall offhand whether GIMP supports whatever ops are installed minus a blacklist, or just a fixed list of ops.); then you would get this behaviour through the GEGL tool.